Monday, February 8, 2010

Social Issue Art

One thing that really strikes me is social issue poster design. I find it so fascinating how people can express such great emotion and message with a simple pieces of work. I recently came across this and it caught my eye because the Pieta is one of my favorite pieces of artwork.
I love the simplicity yet complexion of this piece. The function of this piece is to portray a message about America but the way in which it is cleverly designed adds so much to its meaning. The use of a very well known sculpture to represent a dying America just hits the viewer even more because it is something that the viewer can relate to and contemplate on, maybe more than they would otherwise.

There are many social issue poster pieces that use great simplicity to send a message and I think this is a great example of one.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of Michelangelo's "Pieta" marble statue...I believe it is a modern adaptation to that masterpiece. I like the fact that the Statue of Liberty is the shadowed figure...liberty darkened...with the flag covered soldier/youth. It also reminds me of the way a dead soldier's family gets a specially folded American flag when that soldier is ceremoniously buried. I like silkscreen designing...and this is a perfect example of a work that could be easily portrayed on a tshirt...poster...etc. Simple yet forward. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the simplicity in some images as well. I like when sometimes the meaning of an image is completely apparent. I like when the meaning is evident because it does not distract from the images’ significance or the image it self. So its point it all the more resonant.

    ReplyDelete